Sunday 15 November 2015

An Introduction...

Hi there. My name is Emma and for those who don't know me, I am a lifestyle and beauty blogger over at nolovelikeit.com.

Make up and 'mum stuff' is what I usually talk about there, and feel free to take a look if either of those topics are of interest to you, but the reason I have set up this blog is because I have a new subject up for discussion, one which I felt deserved its own web space.

In case the title hasn't already given it away in part, this blog is going to be focussed on classical music, and the youth of today. Specifically, its aim will be to generate some debate and try to answer the question of just exactly why young people are so disinterested in classical music?

I'm twenty-eight, so not exactly a spring chicken, nor an old bird. Sort of in the middle. I would like to think that my musical taste is fairly wide-ranging; I enjoy pop, rock, dance, reggae and even some metal....No mention of classical in there though. But it's not as though I don't like classical music, or that I'm not aware of it.

On the contrary, there are many pieces of classical music which I absolutely adore, yet the problem lies in the fact that nine times out of ten, I have only ever discovered classical music through a 'mainstream' form of entertainment such as a film, TV programme or even, I'm ashamed to admit it, through an advert! And herein lies the problem I think, because I have a feeling that this is the case for so many young people.

Is the education system to blame for not putting more emphasis on the classics in music lessons? Should The X Factor culture of 'sudden stardom' be culpable for it's pop-heavy filled shows? Or is there something else at work which means that neither of the above are accountable? Is it an issue of class? If so then why the disproportion in age for classical music aficionados?

There is a lot up for discussion here, and I am hoping to create some talking points over the coming weeks, culminating in a concert which I have been invited to attend next month. It is Handel's The Messiah, performed by the The Grange Choral Society, and conducted by Marcio Da Silva.



Now I'm very excited for this as it will be my first ever experience of a full-length classical choir performance. I honestly don't know the first thing about Handel, although of course I know 'of him', as I'm sure many other young people may do.

I will write up my thoughts on the choir concert in a post on here, but for now, I just wanted to start off with a little introduction to the blog, and get a topic started for discussion.

Are you a young person not familiar with classical music? Do you love it, hate it, or not know enough about it to answer that question?! If it's the last option, why do you think that is the case?

So many questions... I hope that we can get a good debate open here and hopefully understand a little better the issues behind classical and the youth.

Thank you for reading and please drop me a comment with your thoughts - would love to hear from you.

Coming soon: Who is Handel? I take a look at the composer's life and works and see where his legacy has positioned him within the canon of classical music knowledge amongst the younger generation. That will be in the next blog post: a week today.

2 comments:

  1. What I think of these young people is absolute rubbish. Those young people sing pop music songs to ruin classical music in Europe and think "We sing and we are better than dumb old composers" is so not on. Do they not realize that classical music is famous in Europe? I mean, classical musicians should get more publicity. Classical music is absolute wonderful genre to listen to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there and thank you for your comment. I really appreciate it. It sounds as though you are very passionate about this subject, and in classical music in particular. Do you think there is a reason why young people could be so disinterested in classical music? Perhaps it is an issue with the education, or lack of, classic music in schools? A case of 'fear of the unfamiliarity?' It seems that pop music is so mainstream these days, other genres seem to take a back-seat, and unfortunately that tends to include classical music. Do you think if more children were educated of classic music in state schools as opposed to just public and private schools then that could potentially resolve the issue a little at least?

      Delete