Friday 27 November 2015

Who was Handel?

A question which I've asked myself many times over the past couple of weeks since being asked to create this blog.

As with most other world-renowned composers such as Beethoven, Bach and Mozart, I have heard of Handel...but do I know much about him?

In all honesty, and I am ashamed to admit this, but no I really don't. I'm aware of his famous 'Water Music', and yet again, I'm not even sure exactly where I know it from.

I have a vague recollection of hearing it for the first time when my husband and I were short-listing music for our wedding. It's one of those pieces which everyone seems to 'know' and at the same time, not really know anything about its origins or creator.

I'm basically quite the ignorant when it comes to Handel, his peers, and classical in general for that matter. It's precisely because of the fact that there are so many other young people like myself who really are none the wiser about this genre of music that formed the very basis for this blog in the first place though, so without further ado, I'll get on with the reason for this particular post.

For the purposes of the blog, and for those who like myself, are a complete novice to classical music, I'm going to just provide the briefest of biographical info about Handel so as to 'set the scene' as it were, for the run-up to my first ever concert attendance next month when I will witness Handel's The Messiah sung in all its glory by The Grange Choir.

For anyone reading this who has been classically trained, and/or is even a classical singer or musician, then please accept my apologies in advance for the very crude biography of Handel which is about to commence.

It's somewhat ironic that such an iconic composer should have had to hide his talent during childhood, and yet he would be forced to do this when playing a small keyboard as a young boy apparently, owing to the fact that his father disapproved of his desire to become a musician. 

George Frideric Handel was born in 1685 in Germany, but would go on to spend most of his life living and working in London. He was well known for his operas, organ concertos, anthems and oratorios, and is remembered as one of the most influential baroque-composers in music history. 

'Water Music' (1716), Messiah (1741-2) and Music for the Royal Fireworks (1749) are undoubtedly three of his most popular compositions, but it is Messiah perhaps more than any of his other works, which has had the ability to cement Handel's status into modern culture and music. This is thanks in some part to the popularity of certain excerpts being familiar to the public through Christmas Concerts and Choral Societies. And yet that merely scratches the surface to this musical masterpiece.

I will talk more about Messiah in a later post however, as I don't want to detract from the main theme to this particular entry; that of Handel himself.

Battling paralysis in the arm caused by a stroke, and suffering with blindness in later life, Handel was blighted by problems, yet he continued to compose into old age, and subsequently passed away in London, 1759.
His legacy is one which is fitting of such a prolific artist, and his compositions serve as a reminder of his musical genius.

Since undertaking research into Handel and his life for the purposes of this post, I feel more ignorant about classical music than ever before, if that were possible. It is just a whole other world. And yet, the more I have learnt about Handel, the more I want to learn. I find it so interesting, not least because Handel lived in London for such a long time, I feel as though he is a part of British history as much as he is a part of British music And directly because of this, I am looking forward to next month's performance of Messiah by The Grange Choral Society of Christchurch even more than before.

His house in Mayfair has been restored by The Handel House Trust, alongside English Heritage, to replicate exactly how it would have looked during his time living there between 1723 and 1759. One of the most interesting facts that I found out about this particular dwelling of Handel's is that it would later become the neighbour to another iconic and influential musician, Jimi Hendrix, who lived in the adjacent flat. Who on earth would have thought that two such polarised musical geniuses could have lived in such close proximity to each other?

This made me wonder; in a poll of young people, how many would be able to acknowledge who Hendrix was, and how many could recount for Handel?

I think I could safely say that the numbers for knowing Hendrix would vastly outweigh those for Handel. A sign of rock and roll's popularity, or not giving classical the recognition it deserves?

Perhaps a bit of both. Either way, there is no denying the craft and talent of both men, and as the bio on the house's website states;

"separated by a wall and 200 years are the homes of two musicians who chose London and changed music."

I hope you enjoyed reading this post and my brief little biography on Handel. I owe a huge apology for the delay in publishing this, but my son has not been well this past week and so the blog has had to take a reluctant back-seat.

I will be back with a new post this Sunday (no delays this time), with my thoughts on why classical music has been chosen to act as a deterrent for young people, and what this will do for the already fractured relationship between the two.

intricate and complex; sheet music for Messiah






   





No comments:

Post a Comment